CGC Trading Cards Announces First In-House Private Signing with Iconic Comic Artist Todd McFarlane
Posted on 9/6/2022
CGC Trading Cards™ is thrilled to announce an exclusive In-House Private Signing with esteemed comic book artist Todd McFarlane! An exceptional artist, author and entrepreneur, McFarlane is well-known for his work involving famous characters such as Spider-Man and Venom and the creation of the hit series Spawn.
For this signing, submitters can send in Marvel cards featuring McFarlane's art, which CGC Trading Cards will encapsulate with a custom Todd McFarlane CGC Signature Series Label. This is this first CGC Trading Cards Private Signing event, and it also marks the debut of the CGC Trading Cards Signature Series Label, which is yellow like the Signature Series labels long used by CGC for signed comics. The $5 custom label fee is included in the signing fee. (For instructions to submit comic books for this signing, click here.)
McFarlane became absorbed in comic books during his youth, spending much of his time reading, sketching his own characters and working for a local comic book shop. A baseball injury and an art degree would eventually lead him to DC and Marvel, where he would work on iconic series like Batman: Year Two, The Incredible Hulk, The Amazing Spider-Man and the adjectiveless Spider-Man.
Spider-Man’s style flourished under McFarlane’s careful eye. The artist transformed the superhero into the Spider-Man we know today. His accomplishments include creating the iconic “spaghetti web” style for Spider-Man’s webs and the introduction of darker themes into the series. During his time with Marvel Comics, McFarlane would also co-create the anti-hero Venom, which would go on to receive a movie and HBO animated series.
In addition to his iconic work for Marvel and DC, McFarlane also co-founded Image Comics, created a toy company and an animation studio, and published his own comic, Spawn, which went on to become the longest-running creator-owned series in 2019. Today, he continues to create covers for Image Comics while working as a video game and toy designer.
It cannot be overstated how impactful Todd McFarlane’s work has been in the comic and animation industries. From his work with Marvel and DC to his current endeavors in video game design, McFarlane continues to be a legend and a popular figure among collectors and fans.
Instructions for submitting Marvel cards
CGC Trading Cards must receive all submissions for this event by Friday, November 11, 2022.
If the In-House Private Signing needs to be rescheduled, CGC Trading Cards will securely store all submissions in its vault until the event can be rescheduled.
After Todd McFarlane signs the submitted cards, CGC Trading Cards will grade and encapsulate them with an estimated turnaround time of six weeks. After grading and encapsulation, the collectibles will be shipped back to their owners. Sub-grades are available for an additional fee.
The CGC Trading Cards In-House Private Signing fee for Todd McFarlane is $125 per item and includes:
- Todd McFarlane's signature
- Estimated turnaround time of six weeks for CGC Trading Cards grading
- Encapsulation with the exclusive Todd McFarlane CGC Signature Series label
To submit cards for the signing:
- Log onto your account or sign up for an account HERE.
- Click Submit in the CGC Trading Cards website navigation and select Submission Form.
- Click on the link to the CGC Trading Cards Online Form.
- Select "Mail-In or Show Drop-Off" under Select Submission Method.
- Select "Grading" under Select Primary Service.
- Choose "Todd McFarlane Signing" under Select Tier.
- Enter the information requested for your card.
- Select Add to Cart, and then repeat if there are additional cards in your submission. If there are no additional cards in your submission, click on the cart icon and proceed to checkout.
- Carefully package cards in a box for shipment. If you need a CGC Trading Cards shipping kit, they can be purchased HERE.
- IMPORTANT: Please write TM on all sides of the outside of the box. You must initial outside of the box or we will not be able to honor the submission for this signing.
- Cards will be received into the CGC Trading Cards system when they arrive and will be safely stored by CGC Trading Cards until the event. (Please note: Payments are processed as they normally are at the time of the collectibles' arrival at CGC.)
- Once cards are signed they will start an expedited CGC Trading Cards grading process.
All submissions must be received by CGC Trading Cards no later than November 11, 2022, to qualify for this private signing event. No change requests will be accepted after November 11, 2022.
Due to extremely high demand, we expect this signing will occur over the course of at least a few months. Submissions will be signed by Todd McFarlane on a first-come, first-served basis. Later submissions may experience long turnaround times. As always, turnaround times are not guaranteed.
CGC Trading Cards is not offering the CGC Signature Series label for other signers at this time.
Keep up with the latest news from CGC Trading Cards by subscribing to our eNewsletter!