CSG-certified 1910 E98 Set, Led by High-grade Ty Cobb Card, Likely to Fetch Tens of Thousands
Posted on 4/6/2023
Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®) was honored to have recently certified 26 rarities from the pre-war baseball card era. Now, this extraordinary group of vintage baseball cards is being offered as part of PWCC's Weekly Sunday Auction #64 on April 9, 2023.
A stunning 1910 E98 Set of 30 Ty Cobb (Red) graded CSG 9.5 is the top highlight of the group. For its age and condition, the card embodies the superb quality of the 26 vintage cards offered in the auction. Cobb is one of baseball's most iconic players, and examples of this card in similar condition have sold for tens of thousands of dollars.
Cobb is well-known as one of the greatest to ever play the game. He set 90 different records during his 23-season career, with some still standing to this day. The Detroit Tigers star was a 12-time AL batting champion, the 1911 AL MVP and 1909 Triple Crown winner. Cobb was inducted into the first class of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1936 and was part of the Major League Baseball All-Century Team.
Additionally, the sale includes two cards featuring another baseball legend — Honus Wagner, also referred to as Hans. The Hans Wagner (Red) graded CSG 8 and the Hans Wagner (Green) graded CSG 8.5 are two more amazing examples from the 1910 E98 Set of 30. Wagner's famous card from the 1909-1911 T206 set is one of the most sought-after and expensive baseball cards in the hobby, with the card selling for millions of dollars. However, these 1910 E98 Wagner cards still command thousands of dollars as collectors seek the rare opportunity to add a Wagner card to their collection.
|LEFT: 1910 E98 Set of 30 Hans Wagner (Red) graded CSG 8 RIGHT: 1910 E98 Set of 30 Hans Wagner (Green) graded CSG 8.5 Click images to enlarge.|
Wagner played most of his 21-year career with the Pittsburgh Pirates, from 1900 to 1917. "The Flying Dutchman" was one of the greatest hitters of his generation, winning eight NL batting titles, which is still a record today. Further, he was the NL RBI leader five times, the NL stolen base leader five times and helped his team win the 1909 World Series. Wagner was among the first five members of the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Other 1910 E98 Set of 30 cards offered in the PWCC sale are:
- Al Bridwell (Red) graded CSG 4.5
- Bill Dahlen (Green) graded CSG 5
- Chief Bender (Red) graded CSG 9.5
- Chief Meyers (Red) graded CSG 9.5
- Connie Mack (Red) graded CSG 7
- Cy Young (Red) graded CSG 6.5
- Eddie Collins (Red) graded CSG 8
- Frank Chance (Red) graded CSG 9
- Fred Clarke (Red) graded CSG 9
- Fred Tenny (Red) graded CSG 8.5
- George Mullin (Red) graded CSG 7
- Hal Chase (Red) graded CSG 9
- Harry Davis (Red) graded CSG 4.5
- Hippo Vaughn (Red) graded CSG 9
- Jack Coombs (Red) graded CSG 9
- John McGraw (Red) graded CSG 6.5
- Johnny Evers (Red) graded CSG 8.5
- Johnny Kling (Red) graded CSG 9
- Larry McLean (Red) graded CSG 8
- Miner Brown (Red) graded CSG 7
- Red Dooin (Red) graded CSG 7.5
- Roger Bresnahan (Red) graded CSG 9
- Russ Ford (Red) graded CSG 7
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!